Getting married is one of the most exciting things that can happen in life. Declaring your love and commitment to that special someone is like nothing else and humans have been doing it for as long as we can remember.
Over the years certain wedding traditions have become ingrained into our culture and we treat them as the norm. Things like the bride wearing white, the groom not seeing the bride in the dress before the ceremony, having bridesmaids and groomsmen and the “something borrowed, something blue..” tradition.
But there are other symbolic wedding rituals that are less common and have not yet ingrained themselves into what we perceive as “normal.” And one of them is the pre-wedding bath ritual.
Benefits of a wedding bath ritual
A wedding bath ritual is a way to cleanse your spirit and foster an aura of love before the big day! A wedding is the beginning of a new journey with a life partner by your side, so it’s important to start the new journey with balance and harmony in your soul.
Baths are rejuvenating and restoring, relieving you of anxious thoughts or nervous energy – perfect for getting rid of any last minute jitters before the big day! A wedding bath ritual cleanses you of everything that came before so you can start anew.
What should I include in my wedding bath ritual?
Flowers are a big part of weddings, they are used in the bride’s bouquet and often as decorations, and that’s because they are seen as a gift from Mother Nature. Having flowers as part of your wedding bath ritual brings Mother Nature into your inner circle and can promote calmness within your spirit.
The flowers you choose are up to you but there are some that are more suited to the wedding bath ritual. Peonies are great for a happy marriage as they are thought to promote wealth and honor. Jasmine promotes grace, elegance and joy. Red Roses symbolise romantic love (watch the thorns!). Myrtle symbolises unity and togetherness. Stargazer Lily for purity. And finally, a sprig of Heather to make wishes come true.
Crystals are important healing tools and can be incorporated into your wedding bath ritual. Placing crystals around your tub, harnesses their healing energy will do wonders for your wedding day and your subsequent marriage. Rose quartz opens up your heart to every kind of love that you need and provides you with a rush of compassion, happiness and forgiveness to assist you in letting go of negative emotions. As well as rose quartz you can use crystals that are significant to you, crystals that promote love or are compatible with your star sign.
What do I do during the wedding bath ritual?
- Run yourself a bath as normal, before placing the flowers you have chosen into the water. Fill your bathroom with candles and music to set the mood. It’s important that you feel comfortable and relaxed in the room so do whatever you have to do to achieve this.
- Place your chosen crystals around the tub and in the bathroom. You can draw out their healing qualities whilst you are in the bath.
- Let the flowers infuse the water before you get in. Immerse yourself in the water and relax, letting the flowers swirl around you.
- Think of your partner and your wedding day. Visualise your perfect day and reaffirm to yourself that this is what you want to do. Feel the love you have for your partner fill your soul and heart.
- Set your intentions for you wedding and marriage.
- Soak for as long as you want!