January is a common time for people to perform space clearing rituals. The New Year encourages people to make a fresh start, let go of the past and take positive steps to ensure a successful future. And a space clearing ritual makes perfect sense for that. Individuals may choose to space clear their home, but it’s also not uncommon for businesses to have their own to sweep away the cobwebs and assure a successful year ahead.
A space clearing ritual gets rid of negative energy and makes space for the positive energy to enter. Here are our handy tips for performing your own space clearing ritual.
The Tools You Need
Because a space clearing ritual is personal to you, you can use any tools you want from the following basic accessories:
- Incense sticks
- Unscented candles
- Vacuum cleaner
- Noise maker (drum, gong, chimes, music)
Your choice of tools will allow you to effectively purge, cleanse and rid your space of any negative energies whilst simultaneously welcoming in the positive.
Before you start your ritual you need to do some prep work. Ensure that your space is thoroughly clean and tidy; discarding any unwanted items or junk. It’s advisable to open windows and doors for around 15 minutes before you start the ritual if you can. This gives your space time to air out and can really aid in your cleanse.
If you have any electronics in your space, make sure they’re turned off. It’s also recommended that your space should be quiet and free of any other persons.
Just before you begin, take a moment to ground and centre yourself. Tune into your spiritual self and focus on what you want to achieve in your space clearing ritual.
- Place your desired herbs around your space. Rosemary, thyme, lavender and sandalwood are all great space clearers but you may also want to incorporate herbs that are personal to you.
- If you’re using crystals, place them near doorways and windows.
- Take some of your herbs and light them to perform a smudging; making your way slowly and steadily around your space.
- Light some incense and delicately spread your smoke around the space.
- Next, light some candles and place them in locations that are important to you or hold significance.
- Focus on the negative energy leaving your space and welcome the positive energy with open arms
- It is at this point that you can play some healing music or make use of a drum or gong.
- Leave the candles lit for around 30 minutes (never unattended) with windows and doors still open.
- Blow out your candles and enjoy your new clear space!
Be sure to take a look at our other meditation & healing guides. We hope you have a healthy and happy 2017!